Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Long Days Journey into Night...

I'm starting to realize that the harder the week (or day) is, the better it will end. Last week felt like it dragged on forever, since we were so busy and we barely got any time to rest. However, the weekend I had was definitely worth the wait.

On Saturday, Pete, Zach, and I went into Florence for the day. It was really nice to spend time with them outside of class, plus I needed boy time (I miss my Cuddle Crew!). Pete had yet to venture to Florence, so it was fun to show him around the city. We started out at the (Whoa) Duomo, which, for every ounce of decor there is on the outside the inside is equally as bare. Seriously. Thank God it was free, because I would have been upset had I paid 6 euro to get in there. Nevertheless, it was still pretty cool- if you go down into the basement there's an archeological dig (which we didn't see cause you have to pay) and Brunelleschi's tomb. Brunelleschi designed the dome of the duomo, and it was kind of a big deal since it was the first dome to be built since ancient times. Go Brunelleschi.

After that we walked over to Basillica di San Lorenzo. Pete and I posed for some pictures out front. We headed in and proceeded to surrepticiously take more pictures, since we technically weren't allowed to. We got to see Donatello's grave (the artist not the turtle), which was pretty cool. While we were in the Old Sacristy this little kid knocked over one of the ropes that keep people from walking over things...suffice it to say, it was loud. And we ran away.

After that we grabbed some lunch, wandered through the Central Market, and found this really neat mask shop. The shop was closed, so we decided to go to Santa Croce until it opened. On the way over to the Basillica we stopped at the Loggia dei Lanzi to show Pete the pretty sculptures. By the time we got to Santa Croce it was closing, but we're definitly going to go back, because Galileo and Michaelangelo are buried there. On our way back to the mask shop we stopped in the Bargello (we snuck in as it was closing so we didn't have to pay teehee) and got to see Donatello's David. Pretty awesome. After that we went back to the mask shop, which turned out ot be really cool and now I want to spend all my money there. We ended up talking with the owner and his friend, who teaches anthropology in Tokyo. Snazzy.

Sunday was a pretty lazy day. Monday night was stressful as hell, since I had the write my first paper since last semester, and I pretty much ended up rambling in circles. Today I woke up feeling even sicker than I have been lately. I almost fell alseep in Philosophy- thank God I had already made my contribution to the discussion (Kafka's the Hunger Artist is a comment on capitalism- take that Scott McGehee!). Movement helped a lot though- I only did the warm-up and sat out for the rest of the lesson, but I think it was good for me to get the blood flowing for a little bit, even if it did knock what little energy I had left completely out of me.

Siena/Florence Pictures on Webshots (these are from a week and a half ago)
Siena Pictures on Facebook

More should be coming soon, I've been having trouble with the internet and Facebook is being difficult. Last weekend's Florence trip will (hopefully) be up tomorrow. Maybe.

---
Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.
~ Pablo Picasso

No comments: